When buying or selling on The Road Code's classified listings, please follow the tips below to stay safe and avoid getting ripped off.
- SUPER LOW PRICES TO GOOD TO BE TRUE - Scammers post ads for expensive, high demand items at at very cheap prices hoping you'll be willing to wire or send money to get a great deal. Beware of this. You'll probably just lose your money.
- IMMEDIATE OFFERS TO BUY YOUR ITEM SIGHT UNSEEN - Scammers send messages to sellers with immediate offers to purchase the item for sale. They will ask to make payment via check or money order and ask you to ship the item. The message will often be vague - ("Dear Seller, I saw your item...") instead of mentioning what you are specifically selling. These messages are scams. Unless you're selling something rare like a Picasso or a Faberge egg, it makes no sense that a legitimate buyer would make an immediate offer on an ordinary item without seeing it in person.
- MEET IN PUBLIC - Always meet a buyer or seller face to face in a public location. Bring a friend with you if possible.
- WALK AWAY - If any part of a transaction doesn’t seem right to you, don’t go through with it.
- NEVER WIRE MONEY! - Any request for you to wire funds via Western Union, MoneyGram, or any other type of wire transfer is a scam. YOU WILL LOSE YOUR MONEY.
DO NOT ACCEPT MONEY ORDERS - Offers to pay via Western Union or MoneyGram are almost always scams.
- AVOID CASHIER CHECKS - If you take payment in the form of a cashier check, only accept cashier checks from local banks. DON’T RELEASE YOUR ITEM TO THE BUYER UNTIL THE CHECK HAS CLEARED AND YOU HAVE VERIFIED THE CHECK IS LEGITIMATE AND THE FUNDS ARE AVAILABLE. Many cashier checks are fake and banks will hold YOU responsible. Scammers will often give you a cashier check to make you think the funds are guaranteed. This is not true.
- ONLY DEAL WITH CASH AND DRAW UP A WRITTEN AGREEMENT WITH THE BUYER / SELLER - Ask to see the buyer or seller’s ID and make a copy, if possible. Make sure it’s a government issued ID like a driver’s license.
- OFFERS TO GUARANTEE AN ITEM ARE OFTEN FAKE - Don’t use any service that guarantees a transaction, such as an “ESCROW SERVICE”. These are all scams.
- NEVER GIVE OUT ANY PERSONAL OR FINANCIAL INFORMATION - Giving out information like bank account numbers, Social Security numbers, Addresses, etc...can make you a victim of identity fraud or worse.
- NEVER DISCLOSE YOUR PAYPAL INFORMATION ESPECIALLY YOUR PAYPAL EMAIL - This information can let a criminal gain access to your account and conduct fraudulent transactions.
- THEROADCODE.COM NEVER INVOLVES ITSELF WITH ANY TRANSACTIONS FOR LISTINGS ON OUR SITE. WE DO NOT COLLECT MONEY ON BEHALF OF ANYBODY LISTING ON OUR SITE, AND WE WILL NEVER CONTACT YOU AND ASK YOU FOR PERSONAL INFORMATION. IF SOMEONE REPRESENTING THEROADCODE.COM CONTACTS YOU, THEY WILL NOT ASK FOR ANY PERSONAL INFORMATION OR MONEY. THE ONLY FINANCIAL TRANSACTIONS THE ROAD CODE INVOLVES ITSELF WITH ARE THE SALE OF PAID UPGRADES TO CLASSIFIED LISTINGS. If you have received any emails suggesting otherwise, please forward them to firstname.lastname@example.org